Total time:plus chilling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 4 firm dessert pears (Williams or Conference)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 oranges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 star anise
- 2-3 cloves
- 150ml red wine
- 150ml diluted, no added sugar
- Blackcurrant cordial
- 3-4tbsp sweetener
- 200g fresh raspberries or blackberries
- Peel the pears, leaving the stalks intact, and place in a bowl. Sprinkle the pears with the lemon juice to prevent them from discolouring. Pare a few thin strips of zest from one of the oranges using a vegetable peeler.
- Stand the pears in a saucepan, making sure they fit snugly. Add the orange zest strips, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, star anise and cloves.
- Pour in the wine and blackcurrant cordial and sprinkle over the sweetener.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the pears are just tender.
- Meanwhile slice the top and bottom from the oranges using a sharp knife, then cut away the peel and pith. Cut each orange horizontally into eight slices and place on a shallow serving dish.
- Remove the pears from the syrup and stand them on the orange slices.
- Boil the syrup rapidly for around 5 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened. Scatter the berries around the pears, then strain the reduced syrup over the fruit. Serve straight away or chill slightly before serving.