- 397g/14oz each of sweet potato and white potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml/3½fl oz chicken stock
- 4 tbsp finely chopped parsley for the filling
- 312ml/11fl oz chicken stock
- 2 leeks, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 312g/11oz carrots, peeled and cut into 1.5cm/½in dice
- 198g/7oz fresh or frozen peas
- 100g/3½oz mushrooms, sliced
- 596g/1lb 5oz cooked chicken, cut into 1.5cm/½in dice
- 3 tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- steamed green beans, to serve
Make sure you cut your potatoes and sweet potatoes to roughly the same size so they cook evenly
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Boil all the potatoes in a large saucepan of lightly salted water for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to the pan with the stock, mash until smooth and season well. Stir in the parsley and set aside.
- To make the filling place the stock, leeks, garlic, carrots, peas and mushrooms in a saucepan and cook over a gentle heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until the leeks have softened. Add the chicken to the pan and stir to mix well.
- Add the tarragon, season well and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium-sized pie dish.
- Spread the mash over the chicken mixture and brush the top with the beaten egg. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve immediately with steamed green beans.