- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 2 slices of pizza)
- 1 pound fresh or frozen whole wheat pizza dough, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes (about 10 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, pulled into 1-inch chunks
- 2 links (6 ounces total) precooked Italian chicken sausage (such as Applegate brand), sliced
1. Position one oven rack in middle of oven and another on the lowest setting. Place a flat baking sheet on the bottom rack. Preheat oven to 475°.
2. Roll dough into a large, thin oval (about 18 inches long). Brush oil over dough.
3. Remove preheated baking sheet from oven. Slide dough onto sheet and return to bottom rack. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove crust from oven.
4. Meanwhile, clean hands, crush tomatoes, crushed red pepper, oregano, and 1/4 cup basil in a medium bowl.
5. Spread suace in an even layer over crust, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Top with mozzarella and sausage.
Bake on middle rack an additional 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese melts. Sprinkle with remaining basil; cut into 12 slices or wedges and serve.