Prep time: 10 minutes
Ready in: Over 60 Minutes
SP Perfect for Extra Easy SP
Syns per serving: FREE
Low calorie cooking spray
2 red onions, sliced
750g very lean braising steak, fat removed, cut into 2½ cm cubes
1 white onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 beef stock cube
1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
500g peeled carrots, roughly chopped
500g peeled swede, roughly chopped
Finely chopped fresh thyme leaves, to garnish
1) Preheat the oven to 160°C/Fan140°C/Gas 3
2) Spray an ovenproof casserole pan with low calorie cooking spray and fry the red onions for 10 minutes until slightly caramelised, adding a little water if needed. Remove from the pan then spray the pan again with low calorie spray and brown the meat in batches.
3) Meanwhile place the white onion and garlic in a food processor and whizz until finely chopped.
4) Stir the cooked red onions back into the meat with the puréed onion and garlic, stock cube, tomato purée, balsamic vinegar and 500ml of water. Season and bring to the boil.
5) Cover and cook in the oven for around 2 hours or until the meat is really tender.